A recent Which? survey highlighted that although most funeral directors are required to offer a basic or simple funeral with a given specification as part of their code of practice, many do not offer this unless specifically asked.
We are proud to openly offer a basic or simple funeral to anyone. A basic or simple funeral gives you a way of budgetting and knowing that there won’t be any nasty surprises. It has a set specification for that very reason.
Our basic or simple funeral includes the following, and takes place at a mutually convenient time:
- Bringing the person who has died into our care from a local place of death during normal office hours
- Our professional services and making all the arrangements for the funeral
- The supply of a simple, standard-sized coffin suitable for cremation
- Use of our chapel of rest and visits thereto as required (during office hours)
- A hearse to transport of the deceased directly to a local cemetery or to Bedford or Cambridge crematorium (if you are happy to use an estate car the cost is reduced by £195)
- Attendance of a funeral director and four coffin bearers at the cemetery or crematorium (if you are happy to carry the coffin yourselves the cost is reduced by £150)
- Collection and local delivery of cremated remains
- Handling of donations to charity in memory of the person who has died
- A notice on our website to inform others of the funeral arrangements
The above specification is considerably higher than that required by the NAFD or SAIF code of practice for a basic funeral, because we believe that there are certain elements of a funeral which a funeral director should not restrict. You are in charge.
*Disbursements are charged as required, so for example the total cost of the funeral taking place at Cambridge Crematorium at 4.30pm with a civil celebrant and paid by BACS would be £2,636.00 (or £2,291 if you use an estate car and carry the coffin yourselves), and the total cost for a funeral at Bedford Crematorium with a church minister and paid by debit card would be £2,877.70 (or £2,532.70 if you use an estate car and carry the coffin yourselves). Please ask us for a precise quote based on your exact requirements.
Please ask if you have any questions at all. Telephone us on St Neots (01480) 471001 or Huntingdon (01480) 412938 or use our St Neots contact page or our Huntingdon contact page for other methods of communication.
We are able to offer this low priced funeral by reducing our overheads and our risk to debt, therefore we request that the full cost of the funeral is paid before the funeral is confirmed. If it is paid by BACS transfer we allow a discount of £75.00. If for any reason the full cost is not paid in advance of the funeral, we reserve the right to increase our fees to our standard prices as quoted here.